With the New Year around the corner, here’s an easy resolution: Think and act positively – the results will surprise and uplift you. To help get you started, here are 15 easy ways to engage positively at home, at work and in your community.
- Engage people everyday with a simple hello. Commit here.
- Be patient in traffic.
- Give someone the benefit of the doubt.
- When you think something nice about someone, share it with them.
- Write someone a note card or thank you card and send it by traditional mail.
- Take a digital/screen break with your family one night a week.
- Pick up the phone instead of sending a complicated email.
- Engage your brain by reading one book (or more) a month.
- Volunteer for a community group that will help you meet new people.
- Go to a cultural event.
- Attend a meeting of your town or city council.
- Support youth events in your community.
- Speak up on an issue that matters to you. Think your voice doesn’t matter? Click here.
- Become a better listener.
- Make a choice everyday to be the most positive person in the room.
Maureen Douglas, CPF-IAF, is an consultant and speaker on leadership, public/workplace engagement and community development. Click here for Mo’s FREE e-Guide to Better Public Engagement. Follow her on Twitter.